This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

Where to go for NHS care Outside Surgery Opening Times

If you need urgent health advice, it is really important to make the right choice about where to go.

NHS 111: If you have a medical problem which cannot wait until the Surgery re-opens, please dial 111 to access the NHS 111 service.  The service is available 24 hours per day, 365 days per year to respond to people’s healthcare needs.  Calls are free from landlines and mobiles. 

Pharmacist: Many common illnesses can be treated at home. Ask your pharmacist for advice on the best medicines and treatments for minor ailments. To find your local pharmacy and its opening times (many are open late into the evening), see

GP Services: If you have a less urgent illness or injury you should make an appointment with your GP. Knowing what to do when your GP surgery is closed is particulary important. When the surgery is closed and you have an urgent medical problem that can't wait until the surgery reopens, please call NHS 111 to access the NHS 111 service.

Walk- in Centre: If you have a minor injury, the nurse-led Walk-in Centre at Woking is open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 8am to 8pm. (Last patients are seen 30 minutes before the stated closing time). You don't need an appointment. Their hours may vary over the Bank Holiday periods, so telephone 01483 846209 to confirm. Please note they are not able to treat children under 2 years of age.

 A&E: If you are seriously ill or badly injured, you should go straight to A&E or call 999. Please only use these services if you really need them as using A&E and ambulance services inappropriately may prevent them from helping critically ill patients who urgently need their help.


When to go to A&E -  Help Us Help You

Help Us Help YouCall 111

An A&E Department deals with life-threatening emergencies such as:

  • Loss of consciousness
  • Acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
  • Chest Pain
  • Breathing Difficulties
  • Severe Bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • Severe allergic reactions
  • Severe burns or scalds
  • Stroke
  • Major trauma such as road traffic accident

Less severe injuries can be treated in urgent care centres or minor injuries units. A&E is not an alternative to a GP appointment. If your GP is closed you can go to or call 111, which will direct you to the best local service.

Alternatively, you can visit an NHS urgent treatment centre or walk-in-centre, which will also treat minor injuries without an appointment.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website